Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Supplies And Demand

School is almost back in session and I can't tell you how many trips I have taken to WM, Target, and Big K. I keep thinking I have everything and then.......Oh, they said 2 boxes of Kleenex or they wanted a 24 pack of Crayola crayons for $1.97 as opposed to the 8 pack I was able to buy for 15 cents. This is getting a little out of control. My son's 2nd grade school supply list was longer than my normal grocery list for a family of five (embellishment permitted to prove my point)! Not to mention uniforms, 2 new backpacks, shoes, and other non-essentials(in my humble, yet highly accurate opinion). And what is up with having to buy brand name everything? Let me show this list:

2 packs of #2 pencils
1 (2) pack of pink erasers
2 packs of wide ruled paper
3 single subject spiral notebooks
1 pack of 24 ct. Crayola crayons
1 pack of 12 count Crayola washable markers (fine line)
1 (3) pack glue sticks
1 bottle washable glue
3 (2) pocket folders
1 (2 in.) 3 ring binders
1 pack dividers
Water color paint and brush set
1 ruler (metric & inch)
1 pencil box
Fiskar (sharp) scissors
1 gallon size Ziploc bags
2 boxes of Kleenex Tissues
1 bottle hand sanitizer
2 containers of Clorox or Lysol wipes
2 containers of baby wipes
1 Lysol spray
Backpack

This may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but I'm cheap a penny pincher. I don't usually buy namebrand anything except Yellow Box Flip Flops and Vera Bradley. I understand there is a quality issue here, and I know that's probably why the teacher wants name brand crayons instead of those cheapy dollar store kind that break if you breath too hard. But come on. Does it have to be Clorox, Kleenex, and Ziploc? Why can it not be Great Value, Red Dot and Blue Light Special? Is there really THAT much of a difference? Maybe I'm being petty over a few cents, but in the days of $4 gasoline, I do what I can to save money for Vera make ends meet.

5 comments:

Ronnica said...

There's a HUGE difference of quality when it comes to Crayola crayons vs. any others. I don't know about the other brand issues (though I do know cheapo scissors are worthless). Just know that you're doing your teacher a favor by allowing them to keep more of their salary. When my mom was a teacher I seriously think she spent most of her salary on supplies for the classroom. Anything x 24 or 28 is costly!

Aunt Julie said...

Oh, the back-to-school rush is on! I'm sending one off to college this year, and I've got a big "to-do" list, too!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

2 containers of Clorox or Lysol wipes now why can't the school are the teachers buy that. I hated school shopping for 4 years until I pulled my kids out of school and started homeschooling. Now I don't need all that stuff they want you to buy and good by to the uniforms. We get the things for school we are using and that's it. I have saved alot of money. Back from the Dent. he didn't do anything but put me on med.

Laura Marchant said...

I was a first grade teacher, the crayons, yes! Crayola is a must. Otherwise the other stuff I would have kids turn in store brand stuff. For us a lot of the time it was giving a name brand because some parents have NO IDEA when it comes to getting stuff. If you don't give them a specific example they will call you 20 times to ask about which item they should get. Even the school had a program where they sold packs of school supplies and they even bought Target brand instead of the name brand we listed. I was always happy if the kids brought something. You would be surprised how many parents send their kids with no supplies.

Adelaine said...

I see the point with the crayons - Crayola is great quality. Our school goes as far to say Playdough (not Fun Dough) and Ticonderoga pencils. The latter my husband, the teacher, agreed with.

But Clorox, Kleenex, & Ziploc. Seriously! I don't think the teachers need to be responsible for the items at all - being I'm a teacher's wife and I know how little they get paid. But why can't they wipe their noses with a store brand??? I mean it's just their nose. And the stuff in the Clorox wipes is the same as the store brand!!!

Hmmm I think our lists said Ziploc...hmmmm...I bought Target brand!! If we had to buy Clorox wipes, I would have bought the off brand for that!!