Monday, July 28, 2008

Raccoons Are Chicken Terrorists

I don't know how long they have been plotting and planning their attack, but last night was a slaughter. Many of you know, and now thanks to SITS, many of you will learn that we have chickens. We, this spring, just got 25 new chicks. We had 8 or so, and that brought the grand total to thirty-three. My son is at the age where he can do little chores around our pathetic, little 1-acre farm. He feeds them and checks for eggs from the grown hens. It's been good for him. We bought a few Bantam D'Uccles for him to show at the fair next year for 4-H. We thought it would be neat for him to win a blue ribbon--for which he would have been a shoe-in with these hunnies......:)


Well, last night changed all that. The hubby went out to feed the chickens this morning and discovered a grisly scene. Eight of our chickens had been brutally attacked and savagely killed! A taliban of 'coons ravaged our coop. There were feathers and such everywhere--my source informed me. I, of course, did not survey the damage for fear of upchuckage.

So, this evening, off to Lowe's we went to buy reinforcements. We are making a shelter with a hinged door for the poultry. We've set up 'coon traps with eggs planted conveniently inside to lure the boogers. It's go time! Please don't get all "Over The Hedge"/ "raccoons are cute" on me. They are the enemy and they hit the wrong house. You mess with our cluckers, you're gonna fry! Booyah!

10 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Holy cow. That's carnage. I would have been so upset! You have adorable and the story you told me that happened in Walmart was a highlight of my day.

I'm late in thanking you for taking the time to stop by my blog when I was featured on SITS. I appreciate the time you took and look forward to visiting again!

Unknown said...

Again, I can only say that you are hilarious. I bow to your bloggy greatness........

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I would of died -- I live in town for now --hopefully next year we will be out of town -- so for now don't have problems with animals.

Adelaine said...

Awww those poor chickens! Racoons are mean little things - or so I have heard!

Are your chickens for eggs or for meat to eat? Either way, those racoons ate up some of your food!

Did the kids see? My kids would freak!

Sonya said...

Oh my goodness! Thank Heavens for Hubby finding the mess before the little eyes could and scar them for life! ;) Those stinking raccoons! They are cute in pictures, but in real life they deserve to be exiled!

I miss having chickens...I liked taking care of them better than cows, if you know what I mean! :)

Take Care!
Sonya

Ronnica said...

You'll probably hate me for this one, but raccoons were always my favorite animals growing up. So much so that Raccoon was always my camp name when I went and worked at camps.

Laura Marchant said...

Oh no! Poor little chickens!

Caroline said...

Ugh. Raccoons are nasty little scallywags who deserve the harshest of penalties for killing your chickies. I'm glad there was no upchuckage.

Debbie said...

You go girl because raccoons are the ENEMY as are the squirrels that we finally got rid of in our attic. Can't wait to hear if you GIT EM!

Breanne said...

LoL - No Over the hedge here. Racoons are mean!!