Thursday, July 31, 2008

Whatever Things.....

Okay, so by request, I am posting a small bible study on my blog once or twice a week. God has been laying this on my heart for quite a while. At the beginning of this year, our ladies bible study went through "Conversation Peace" By Mary Kassian. What an excellent study! I wish I could say I've completely tamed my tongue, but that would be a stretch! It's a daily battle. One thing that has really affected my choices was something from this study. It's called the P-48 Test. To quote Mary "P-48 is based on Philippians 4:8. It tests the goodness of thoughts, beliefs, and words, so we can judge if they ought to be planted in our hearts. With P-48, we determine whether the seeds are:


  • Pure Are my motives pure? Are my thoughts/words holy?

  • Right Is this proper and appropriate?

  • Excellent Is it of the highest quality? Is is the best or just adequate?

  • Praisworthy Am I proud of the way I am speaking?

  • Lovely Does it mirror the beauty and gentleness of Jesus?

  • Admirable Is it worthy of being respected and admired?

  • Noble Does it demonstrate my position as a child of the KING?

  • True Does is agree with the Bible's evaluation of the situation?

After being shaken through this filter, the words that remain are seeds we want to


P.R.E.-P.L.A.N.T."


This is the litmus test for my life. I want to evaluate everything I do based on Philippians 4:8. Can you see why? What a great way to know the will of God in every situation! That's my challenge to you today. I love you, my sisters and brothers in Jesus. I pray this is a challenge to your spiritual walk and will encourage you to draw nearer to your Savior.

6 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be tuning in regularly!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Me to -- I may use some for my kids bible study that we do each morning before school -- still trying to put all that together -- this is a good idea i will be back to read and study right along with you.

Lula! said...

I hesitated over my post today, because I meant it in loving fun, but I feared backlash from someone not understanding my true intent. And then I felt like God said, "Leigh Anne, I gave you this blog--now run with it, just do as I say." So today's all about being southern and redneck. Because He loves rednecks, too.

I quote Colossians 3:23 on an hourly basis. It helps when struggling through laundry, being a witness, serving my husband, raising my kids, dealing with hateful people, blogging, studying the Word, and on and on. As a people-pleaser (I admit it!), it helps keep the focus on HIM and not me.

And you are doing this with your blog. I heart you. Hooray!!!!

KatBouska said...

Ohhhh I feel so bad. Sometimes I think I can skip out on SITS for a couple days when things get busy over here...I didn't think anyone would NOTICE!!! Shame on me, you taught me!! I'm so sorry, I will definitely go back and get caught up!! tsk tsk mama Kat!!

ps What a great day for me to come over though...I was just thinking about all this bologna I'm posting about and how I just need to simplify and remember whats important in my life...time to go back to church!!

Shelley said...

Okay, I have read and pondered this passage. I feel so much conviction about what comes out of my mouth and about not using a "filter". For so long now, everyday I struggle with "potty mouth". And at the end of the day, I realize that I have once again failed my Lord. It is discouraging. My prayer is to find encouragement and acceptance. Of course, I hope that these studies will also help me reflect more deeply and listen more carefully to what He has to say to me. Thanks, girl. Looking forward to the next one.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Isn't that the best Bible study, Melissa? It took me a while to get used to her accent after listening to Kay Arthur and Beth Moore for so many years but LOVE the CONTENT and have been tested many times since taking that study.