Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Something's Missing....


When we got home from camp last Friday, little did I know my eldest child was already forming a plan in his head about staying with my in-laws.....for another couple of weeks. He asked me while we were swimming in the pool, "Mom, I don't want to go back to Palatka yet." I will admit to having the thought, "One less child at home......hhhhmmmm?" But I told Michael, "I will need to discuss this with your grandparents and your father before I say yes."
We went over the pros and cons and in the end, decided it would be good for him to stay. After all, we will be back down soon enough.

Now that we are home......I'm having a rough time with it. I talked to Michael yesterday and the first thing he says to me is, "Mom, I'm not homesick yet." I'm thinking, "Great....here I am feeling like I'm mourning the loss of my firstborn and he's not even thinking he misses me." Reminds me of someone else I know......me. I was always up for new adventures as a child. Cruel irony is being played out right now. Michael and I are so much alike, it's scary. He is king of drama, which I NEVER was.....my mom would beg to differ. Red hair, freckles, fair skin......the force is strong in that one. He is my son. My only son. He's my bud. I miss him. Our family is incomplete without him here. The dynamic in our house has changed and I'm not happy about it. I am glad that he is not bored there like he is here. Not much to do around these parts. At least he can swim and play with his boy cousin at Grandma's. I'm a so proud of Michael. On Sunday, he invited the neighbor boy to church and he came! That's my little evangelist!




I'm counting the days until I can see him again.

6 comments:

Lula! said...

I'm glad my children aren't the only ones not interested in staying at home this summer. They only want to be here when they can be in the pool. The rest of the time they are flitting between their grandparents & their "adopted" grandparents, spending the night, playing outside, going to eat, etc. It hurts my feelings at times. Then it's also nice to be able to clean/read/blog/watch movies in peace.

So I know where you are coming from...

Unknown said...

Boy can I relate!!! January 12th - May 29th was the longest few months of my life. When Jimmy decided to stay in GA till school let out, I thought I'd croak. I always felt like I'd left my purse in the bathroom or something.. (not that I am comparing my son to an accessory)...
Sometimes I think the oldest child needs to do something really special and what could be more special than getting some time just for yourself without any little sisters?? Just keep reminding yourself that he is having the time of his life and he'll be home before you know it!!

Melissa Lee said...

Your "little evangelist" doesn't want to come home.

Sounds like the mission field might be in his future.

OH NO! I didn't mean it! Stop crying right now!! :)

Melissa at Stretch Marks

gideonmommasita said...

It has gotten easier. This week I missing the ones who clean the cat litter...when the kids move out the cats have got to go.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, this 'stepping out from Mom' is a good thing - a little at a time. Good for everyone. Encourage those traits in your children that will sustain them as adults. Independence is pretty high on the list of sustaining skills. You are doing a good thing.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

The hardest thing to do as a parent is "let go", but think about it...your job is really to train them up to be responsible, independent adults....and they will go! If you allow them to go once in a while now, it will get easier for them and easier for you. Listen to me...I couldn't let go...I moved to Tallahassee. YIKES.