Thursday, August 30, 2007

Holy Moldy!

Okay, admit it. We've all done it. You cook something and eat it and then store the leftovers in your fridge. You may have some more the next day, but somehow the food in the container makes it's way back into your icebox to become penicillin. Can I get a witness? It gets to the point where you just leave it there because you're afraid to take it out and actually open it to clean it. Sometimes, I have actually thrown away containers for the simple fact that I don't want to inhale the fumes and pass out. Well, no such luck this time since the container is actually a pot of mashed potatoes that has turned a pretty shade of pink, green and some other color I can't name. I don't throw away cooking pots. Gladware, yes. Well, there it sits on my kitchen counter. It's waiting for me. I don't want to deal with it tonight. I'll just wait until tomorrow. Sound familiar? I think our sin is much like that moldy container. It's easier to just throw the proverbial "baby out with the bathwater" instead of opening up and cleaning out our lives. Have you ever done a blanket confession? "Lord, forgive me of all my sins." I have. I don't really know how my Lord, who was crucified for every sin I have committed and will commit, feels about that. I have been thinking about this for some time now. If I'm saved, the Holy Spirit can make me aware of my sin. So why don't I name them one by one. Count Your Many Blessings name them one by one. Count your many trespasses, name them one by one. I really do believe we can and should try to confess sins by what they are because it shows an attitude of recognition. Do you know what I'm saying? It's just like that moldy container. The longer we let it sit, the smellier it gets.

1 comment:

CroppinRobin said...

great analogy
and, yes, i have left something in the refrigerator...until garbage day.